administration

IU Luddy founding dean and professor Jon Michael Dunn dies at 79

caluddydeath040721.jpeg

Jon Michael Dunn, founding dean emeritus of the IU Luddy School of Informatics, Computing and Engineering, died at age 79, according to a News at IU press release. 

Dunn was a professor emeritus of informatics and computer science as well as a researcher and administrator throughout his time at IU, according to the release. He authored or co-authored six books and over 100 articles. He worked for IU for over 50 years. 

Dunn also served as the chair of the IU philosophy department twice, according to the release. He was the first executive associate dean of IU’s College of Arts and Sciences.

The Luddy School of Informatics, Computing and Engineering, was founded in 2000, according to the school’s website. Dunn was involved in the strategic planning of the new informatics program before the school was established, according to the release.

“Dunn's guidance and passion allowed the School of Informatics to grow from an idea into a rapidly growing reality,” the release said. “His willingness to engage with potential students about the new school was critical to its expansion.”

Former Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels awarded Dunn the Sagamore of the Wabash in 2007, the highest citizen-level award one can receive in Indiana. The same year, IU President Michael McRobbie, then IU-Bloomington’s Provost, awarded Dunn with the Provost’s Medal.

Editor’s note: The Indiana Daily Student is working to put together an obituary for Dunn. If you would like to share your memories of him, please reach out to news@idsnews.com and let us know the best way to contact you.