IU Ladies First A Cappella to perform Spring Showcase on April 30

<p>Ladies First, an IU student-run acapella group, poses for a photo. The group will perform in its Spring Showcase on April 30 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre.</p>

Ladies First, an IU student-run acapella group, poses for a photo. The group will perform in its Spring Showcase on April 30 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre.

The women of student-run acapella group IU Ladies First will perform their annual Spring Showcase 8 p.m. April 30 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. This two-hour showcase will be the group’s last concert of the semester and will celebrate its graduating class. Tickets will be available at the BCT Box Office. 

According to the BCT Box Office, the event will have in-person and virtual tickets, but the amount of in-person tickets will be limited and in-person audience members will be masked and socially distanced. Sophomore and Ladies First business director Grace Orzechowski said right now, there will be 25 in-person tickets, but that could change as they stay in contact with the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Senior Avery Smith has been with Ladies First since her sophomore year. This upcoming concert will be her last with the group. 

“I love the group this year and I couldn't ask for a better group of girls to be performing one last time with,” Smith said. “I'm very excited to kind of see the final product come together.”

During the concert, Ladies First members will wear masks and stay socially distanced in an arc formation, Orzechowski said. Performers will stand in an arc and when someone has a solo, they will distance themselves from the rest of the group by moving to the center of the arc.  

Smith said Ladies First will perform a lot of songs from their album “In Full Bloom,” which was released in February. She said she is excited to sing songs off the album such as “Make you Feel my Love” by Bob Dylan and “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen.

Ladies First seniors get to arrange their own solos for the Spring Showcase. Smith chose “Growing Pains” by Julia Gargano while senior Layla Abdelhak said she chose “Wonder” by Shawn Mendes. Abdelhak said the solos are the seniors’ sendoff songs and could be a song they love or have always wanted to perform. 

At their previous semester concert, Ladies First singers live-streamed their annual Winter Showcase on Nov. 16. Smith said there was a large virtual audience turnout of family and alumni from across the country. She said she hopes there will be a similar response for this upcoming concert. 

Ladies First wears masks and adheres to their own COVID-19 safety guidelines during rehearsals. The group rehearses twice a week on Sundays and Thursdays, though Abdelhak said practice would be three times a week in a normal year.

“We have been so safe so on top of things and still making progress on our songs and our show and everything,” Abdelhak said.  “I'm really proud of the work that we've done considering all the factors.”

Ladies First is known for doing concerts and events all over IU, but also for being an organization that shows women supporting each other through a love of performing, Orzechowski said. 

“Ladies First really gives everyone in the group a family,” Orzechowski said. “It sort of sounds cheesy, but we like to spread that love and happiness to people around us. We just love to perform and we love to bring music to any event that we can.”

Virtual tickets for the showcase will cost $13. In-person tickets for students and seniors will be $7 and in-person adult tickets will be $13.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments