Penix, McFadden win 2020 MVPs in IU football team awards

Spiufbawards040121_1.jpg

The IU football team announced its team award winners for the 2020 season Thursday night, including naming redshirt sophomore quarterback Michael Penix Jr. and junior linebacker Micah McFadden 2020’s Anthony Thompson Most Valuable Players.

In 2020, Penix was voted second team All-Big Ten by the coaches and media and threw for 491 yards, the second most in a single game in program history, in a 45-38 loss at No. 3 Ohio State on Nov. 21, 2020. 

Penix threw for 1,645 yards, 14 touchdowns and four interceptions in six games last season before tearing his ACL on Nov. 28, 2020, against Maryland.

McFadden was named third team All-American by the Associated Press and first team All-Big Ten by the coaches and media last season, posting 58 tackles and a career-high six sacks in the shortened 2020 campaign. McFadden led the team in tackles, solo tackles, sacks and tackles for loss.

Other award winners include senior wide receiver Ty Fryfogle, named Most Outstanding Offensive Player of the Year, sophomore cornerback Tiawan Mullen, named Most Outstanding Defensive Player of the Year, sophomore kicker Charles Campbell, named Most Outstanding Specialist of the Year and junior defensive back Reese Taylor, named Special Teams Player of the Year.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Jack Tuttle was named the recipient of the LEO Award.

Freshman offensive lineman Mike Katic was named Offensive Newcomer of the Year, and freshman defensive lineman C.J. Person was named Defensive Newcomer of the year.

Freshman offensive lineman Ricky Tamis and tight end Trey Walker were named Offensive Scout Team Players of the Year, freshman defensive lineman Beau Robbins and defensive back DeKaleb Thomas were named Defensive Scout Team Players of the Year and freshman running back Chris Childers and wide receiver McCall Ray were named Special Teams Scout Team Players of the Year.

Offensive lineman Harry Crider won the Ted Whereatt Senior Academic Excellence Award and the Chris Dal Sasso Award for Outstanding Linemen with defensive lineman Jerome Johnson. 

Defensive back Jamar Johnson and running back Stevie Scott III won the Corby Davis Memorial Award for Outstanding Back. Jamar Johnson was also named a recipient of the Corby Davis Memorial Award. 

Juniors tight end Matt Bjorson and defensive back Devon Matthews were both named as recipients of the Ted Verlihay Mental Attitude Award.

Graduate punter Haydon Whitehead was named the recipient of the Howard Brown Dedication to IU Football Award and redshirt junior defensive back Jeremy Boyd was named the recipient of the Harold Mauro Loyalty to IU Football Award.