sports field hockey

IU field hockey defeats Michigan State, falls to Michigan in regular season finale

spiufhrecap041921.jpg

IU field hockey earned its first win of the season Thursday in a 3-2 match against Michigan State before falling to No. 3 Michigan 3-0 Saturday.

The Spartans started the match forcefully, scoring two goals in the first quarter alone. The Hoosiers answered with two of their own in the second quarter. 

Junior midfielder Mary Kate Kesler’s shot went in off of a penalty corner before freshman midfielder/forward Anna Gwiazdzinski found the back of the Spartans’ cage on a back-handed shot to tie Michigan State.

The second half was quiet as both teams’ defenses shut out the opposition to take the match into overtime. 

The overtime, however, was short-lived.

Freshman back Emma Martin found junior forward Peyton Becker open in the circle just seconds into overtime. Becker fired past the Spartans’ keeper to seal the Hoosier victory.

IU played in its final regular season match Saturday against Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, a 3-0 loss for the Hoosiers. 

The Wolverines scored in every quarter but the second, being particularly aggressive in the third with 14 shots. IU recorded no shots in the match. 

IU will face Michigan State again in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament on Tuesday in Iowa City, Iowa.