Parker Stewart withdraws from transfer portal to stay with IU men’s basketball

<p>Redshirt junior guard Parker Stewart poses for a headshot. Stewart, who did not play last season, announced Wednesday in a Twitter post he will return for the 2021-22 season.</p>

Redshirt junior guard Parker Stewart poses for a headshot. Stewart, who did not play last season, announced Wednesday in a Twitter post he will return for the 2021-22 season.

A week after redshirt junior guard Parker Stewart announced he was entering the transfer portal, Stewart said Wednesday he was withdrawing from the portal and staying with the IU men’s basketball program.

Related: [IU men’s basketball’s Parker Stewart enters transfer portal]

Stewart announced his intent to transfer to IU from University of Tennessee-Martin on Dec. 15, 2020, after his father unexpectedly died. Now, after entering the transfer portal March 24, Stewart announced in a tweet that he will stay in Bloomington — just three days after Mike Woodson was named IU’s new head coach.

“IU gave me a home when I needed it most after the passing of my father, and I look forward to staying and putting on my jersey at this prestigious university,” Stewart said in a statement on his Twitter account.

Stewart is the first of six IU players who entered the transfer portal this year to withdraw and stay with the team. He averaged 19.2 points per game as a redshirt sophomore at UT Martin, while shooting 41.2% from the field.

This news comes a day after senior guard Al Durham announced he is transferring to Providence College as a graduate student.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments