sports golf

IU women’s golf finishes in 18th place at Clemson Invitational this weekend

spiuwgrecap032821.jpg

IU women’s golf finished in 18th place at the Clemson Invitational, which the team played from Friday to Sunday at The Reserve at Lake Keowee in Sunset, South Carolina. The tournament was halted Saturday afternoon due to rain and finished Sunday morning. 

This was the second consecutive tournament that was suspended for the Hoosiers, with the Briar's Creek Invitational played from March 15-16 being suspended due to darkness. The weather didn’t seem to play a factor for senior Mary Parsons, though, who finished with her best outing of the season. 

Parsons started off with a 3-over-par first round, yet took advantage of the soft conditions on Saturday and recorded three birdies in her final round to finish tied for 14th. Parsons also shot a season low for the Hoosiers with a final round of 70.

Sophomore Hanna Tanaka was second for the Hoosiers in South Carolina as she finished tied for 77th. Tanaka shot all three rounds in the 70’s and made five birdies throughout the tournament. 

Kent State University won the 18 team tournament with a team score of 12-under par, beating the second place closest team, Virginia Tech University by ten strokes. 

IU shot 65 over par as a team for a total of 929 strokes across the three round tournament, which is their lowest team total for the season.  

Next up for the Hoosiers is the Indiana Spring Challenge from April 4-5 at the Covered Bridge Golf Course in Sellersburg, Indiana.