sports women's basketball

COLUMN: The highs and lows of IU women’s basketball’s historic regular season

spiuwbb030921.jpg

No. 9 IU women’s basketball 2020-21 season is one that I will never forget.

From playing during the coronavirus pandemic to finishing the regular season with numerous program records, it was a historic year for the Hoosiers. After Saturday’s senior day victory over Purdue, IU ended the regular season with an overall record of 18-4, a conference record of 16-2 and the No. 2 seed in the Big Ten tournament.

Before the postseason, let’s reflect on the highs and lows of this regular season.

High: Consistency of Patberg, Holmes and Berger

Heading into the season, we knew IU’s experience would be a noticeable benefit over opponents. The starting five in the season’s opener had previously started in 232 games combined, most of which were with each other on the court.

Off the court, senior guard Ali Patberg has become the established leader of the group in her sixth year of collegiate basketball. Both the coaching staff and teammates voiced their appreciation for her work ethic but more importantly, her interest in making those around her better.

“She pours herself into her teammates,” head coach Teri Moren said on senior day. “That’s why she’s so loved.”

Despite some early season struggles, Patberg turned it up a notch by the end of the regular season, averaging 17 points per game on IU’s current nine-game winning streak.

Sophomore forward Mackenzie Holmes turned into a top post threat in the conference. Her footwork and touch around the rim and her ability to outrun opposing bigs in transition has guided her to a team-leading 18 points per game.

Defensively, she became the rim protector that Moren has been searching for. Averaging 2.9 blocks per game, she rejects attempts from guards penetrating and forwards posting up.

As for junior guard Grace Berger, she became the Swiss Army knife of the squad. She can score numerous ways — mainly in the mid-range or with crafty layups — and also leads the team with 5 assists per game. She has three triple-doubles this season, which is two more than any player in the nation.

All three earned All-Big Ten honors, with Holmes and Berger being first-team selections and Patberg earning a second-team nod. 

Low: Early drops in the non-conference slate

IU started the season 2-2, dropping two winnable games against the University of Kentucky and the University of Tennessee. Both teams ended the regular season ranked in the AP Top 20, but each loss was missed opportunities to beef up IU’s NCAA Tournament résumé.

Despite the losses, IU’s early season defeats illuminated areas for improvement. Against Tennessee, IU shot a shocking 2-27 from beyond the arc. Since that performance, they have emphasized playing inside-out basketball and, as a result, found more success.

High: Feb. 18 victory over No. 11 Michigan

Without a doubt, IU’s most quality win was against Michigan. It was also its most important win because Michigan and IU both had two conference losses entering the contest. 

Patberg and junior forward Aleksa Gulbe combined for 34 points, including shooting a crucial 6-9 from 3-point territory. In a battle that included 17 lead changes, the Hoosiers out-toughed the physical Wolverines down the stretch to squeak out a 70-65 victory.

Low: Penn and Patterson opting out

IU was forced to replace two rotation players on the fly midway through the regular season.

Senior guard Jaelynn Penn and redshirt junior Danielle Patterson both opted-out of the season in the middle of conference play. Penn was a starter for a fourth consecutive season, while Patterson was a reserve after transferring from the University of Notre Dame in 2019.

Penn’s offensive presence was missed once she opted-out. She has scored over 1,300 points and shot 32% from beyond the arc in her Hoosier career so far.

High: Emergence of Cardaño-Hillary

Once Penn left the team, senior guard Nicole Cardaño-Hillary’s spot in the starting lineup was solidified.

A high-volume shooter since her days at George Mason University, defenders must keep an eye on her. She is averaging 9 points per game, but her ability to go on hot streaks can ignite the offense at any moment.

Cardaño-Hillary has made her largest contribution on the defensive end. Formerly a Atlantic 10 All-Defensive team award recipient, she has pressured the opposing point guards for all 94 feet of the court. Cardaño-Hillary has 20 steals in the past 10 games.

Low: No fans at Assembly Hall

IU’s fan base not being able to follow along with the journey in person might be the worst part of this historic season. 

Unfortunately, only families, media and plastic cutouts were able to watch the team compete this season due to the pandemic. However, 2,500 fans will be in attendance for the Big Ten Tournament at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

With a culture built for future success, it’s safe to say that Assembly Hall will soon be packed once again to cheer on the Hoosiers. 

High: Optimism for the Postseason

To this point, this is the most accomplished group in program history. With that, even higher expectations come as a result. Deep runs in both the Big Ten Tournament and NCAA Tournament are not just possible, but anticipated for the Hoosiers. 

IU clinched the No. 2 seed in the Big Ten Tournament and will play in the quarterfinals at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in Indianapolis. They will face the winner of No. 7 seed Michigan State and No. 10 seed Penn State on Wednesday. The Hoosiers were 1-0 against the Spartans and 2-0 against the Lady Lions this season.

IU was the No. 12 team overall in the preview rankings revealed Feb. 28 by the NCAA Tournament selection committee. The Hoosiers are 2-0 since, and have more opportunities ahead in the Big Ten Tournament to boost their seed in the NCAA Tournament.

“There’s a lot to look forward to,” Holmes said, “but we’re going to keep our heads down and keep working towards Thursday.”