sports swimming & diving

4 IU divers advance to NCAA Championship competition

spiusdrecap030921.jpg

The IU men’s and women’s diving teams competed at the NCAA Zone C Championships this weekend at the Lancaster Aquatic Center in Lexington, Kentucky. 

Over three days of competition, juniors Andrew Capobianco and Cole VanDevender excelled for the men’s team while freshmen Anne Fowler and Tarrin Gilliland led the way for the women.

Gilliland earned high scores on all of her events, which was capped by her placing third overall in the platform dive event with a 10-dive score of 528.25 . The Midland, Texas, native also scored highly in the 1-meter and 3-meter events. Her teammate Anne Fowler also competed well, earning a 12-dive final score of 610.55 points in the 1-meter event.

Related: [IU men’s swim seeks to continue winning streak going into Big Ten championships]

On the men’s side, Capobianco caught fire early with a winning 12-dive score of 850.80 in the 3-meter competition, which included an 81.60 on his first dive in the preliminary round. VanDevender also performed well in the 1-meter competition, garnering a 10-dive score of 703.75 and earning a second-place finish in the event. 

With each of their scores, these four Hoosiers have qualified to compete in the men’s and women’s NCAA Diving Championships in late March at the Greensboro Aquatic Center in Greensboro, North Carolina. The women will begin competition on March 17 with the men following soon after on March 24.