UPDATE: IUPD investigating alleged sexual battery at Phi Kappa Psi fraternity

<p>Phi Kappa Psi is located at 1200 N. Jordan Ave. IUPD is investigating an alleged sexual battery involving a member of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and a female student at the fraternity house on Feb. 17, according to the IU Police Department.</p>

Phi Kappa Psi is located at 1200 N. Jordan Ave. IUPD is investigating an alleged sexual battery involving a member of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and a female student at the fraternity house on Feb. 17, according to the IU Police Department.

This story and photo caption has been updated to reflect that police are investigating the alleged incident as a sexual battery.

The Indiana University Police Department is investigating a sexual battery that allegedly occurred at Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house Feb. 17. The incident was originally reported as a rape, but police received new information that categorized it as a sexual battery, Deputy Chief Shannon Bunger said Tuesday afternoon. 

Sexual battery includes “forcible fondling” or inappropriate touching, but is not considered rape under the law, Bunger said. Under Indiana law, rape involves penetration while sexual battery is non-consensual sexual touching. Both are felonies.

No arrests have been made and police have yet to speak with the suspect, who is a member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity, Bunger said. 

IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said members of Phi Kappa Psi originally reported the incident to the Office of Student Conduct, who then notified IUPD.

Bunger said the woman wishes to remain anonymous and has not spoken with police. 

A list of resources is available here if you or someone you know has experienced sexual harassment or abuse.

Correction: A previous version of this story misidentified which organization was investigating the incident.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments