sports track & field

IU track and field competes in B1G SPIRE, Hawkeye B1G invitationals over weekend

spiutfrecap021421.jpg

IU track and field sent its athletes to two separate locations this weekend: Geneva, Ohio, and Iowa City, Iowa. IU’s pole vaulters and jumpers competed in the Hawkeye B1G Invitational, an event held on Iowa's campus, and the rest of the team competed in the B1G SPIRE Invitation.  

Between the two invitationals, the Hoosiers set more than 10 personal records on Friday and Saturday.

In Iowa City on Friday, senior Anna Watson took second place in the pole vault by clearing a height of 4.05 meters.

Sophomore Dom Day and freshman Paola Fernandez-Sola contributed to the team’s successful weekend with placements in the long jump. Day finished fourth in the men’s long jump with a personal record of 7.25 meters, and Fernandez-Sola took seventh in the women’s long jump with a mark of 5.89 meters. 

Saturday in Iowa, IU was led by sophomore Nathan Stone, who took first in the pole vault with a height of 5.40 meters. Senior Brock Mammoser finished third by clearing a height of 5.30 meters. 

IU’s other athletes — competing in the B1G SPIRE Invitational at SPIRE Institute in Geneva, Ohio — set seven personal records on Friday. 

In the 600 meter, sophomore Maria Anderson captured her first victory of the season, recording a time of 1:31.74. Her teammates, redshirt freshman Shynae Deas and freshman Maddie Russin, also broke personal records, finishing second and 11th, respectively. Deas recorded a time of 1:32.04, and Russin finished in 1:36.71. 

Junior Sarah Schmitt continued her success this season, nabbing a sixth place finish in the 5,000 meter with a time of 16:38.02. On the men’s side, senior Ben Veatch ran the third fastest time in the NCAA this season in the 5,000 meter, crossing the finish line in 13:57.98. Veatch took second in the meet.

Related: [IU Indoor track and field has strong showing at Jack Gladstein Invitational]

In the weight throw, the team earned a pair of top two finishes. Senior Nick Lane won his second straight men’s weight throw with a heave of 20.37 meters, and on the women’s side, senior Princess Brinkley took second place with a 19.23-meter throw.

The Hoosiers followed up with another impressive showing on Saturday. Junior Rikkoi Brathwaite has competed in four 60-meter events this season and has won all four of them. In his fourth 60-meter of the season, Brathwaite ran away from the field with a time of 6.66 seconds. 

For the women, junior Bailey Hertenstein led the way once again, running a personal record of 9:19.86 in the 3,000 meter. Senior Kelly Mindak placed second in the 800 meter with a time of 2:08.18. 

The Hoosiers got help from several other women, including sophomore De’Aira Robertson, sophomore Alyssa Robinson and senior Maddy Pollard. Robertson took fourth in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.60 seconds. Robinson earned o a fifth place finish in the 60 meters with a mark of 7.53 seconds. 

Pollard was IU’s only field competitor Saturday in Geneva, finishing second in the shot put with a distance of 16.64 meters. 

IU will return to Jack Gladstein Fieldhouse in Bloomington on Saturday, for a dual meet with in-state rival Purdue.