sports men's soccer

3 things to watch for Saturday when No. 7 IU men’s soccer plays Northwestern

spiumspreview022621.jpg

No. 7 IU will have an opportunity to start 3-0 at 1 p.m. Saturday. when they take on Northwestern in Evanston, Illinois. The Hoosiers so far have racked up victories against Wisconsin and Ohio State, winning both matches 3-0.

This will be IU’s first time playing outside the state of Indiana this season. Here is what you should watch for when the Hoosiers and Wildcats collide:

The Hoosiers’ Defense

The offense has produced in both games, but the defense has been the main attraction.

The Hoosiers have allowed zero scores on only six shots on goal. It is the first time IU has earned two shutouts to start the season since 2017.

“We can always hang our hat on our defending,” head coach Todd Yeagley said after Tuesday’s victory.

Communication on the back line has been key by not allowing opponents easy entries into the box. Senior A.J. Palazzolo and freshman Joey Maher have been effective in using their full-pitch perspective to direct traffic in front of them.

Consistent defense isn’t always the most exciting, but it allows the Hoosiers to contend every time out.

Competing for all 90 minutes

Although the Hoosiers have won each game by wide margins, they have yet to compete to Yeagley’s expectation for the full 90 minutes.

“We haven’t put a full performance together yet,” Yeagley said.

IU had stretches of sloppy passing that was uncharacteristic for the program in the opener against Wisconsin. Against Ohio State, Yeagley called the first half “a throwaway” after the Buckeyes matched their toughness through 45 minutes.

To its credit, IU has responded both times to put the games out of reach. But those mediocre stretches need to be eliminated soon or else it comes back to bite them.

The Opponent

Northwestern is entering Saturday’s match with a 1-1-0 record. They opened their season with a 4-1 loss to Michigan, then rebounded against Wisconsin with a 5-2 victory.

The Wildcats’ attack is spread out, proven by five different players scoring in two games. IU’s defense will need to focus on sophomore forward Ugo Achara Jr. who already has two goals on five shots this season.

IU has won its last five matches outright against Northwestern, outscoring the Wildcats 10-3.