politics

Former Indiana first lady Susan Bayh dies at 61 after fight with cancer

news filler.jpg

Susan Bayh, the wife of former Indiana Gov. Evan Bayh, died at age 61 on Friday night after a battle with glioblastoma, according to a Saturday press release from the Bayh family. 

Bayh had surgery to remove a malignant brain tumour in 2018. After the surgery, she underwent  chemotherapy and radiation therapy, fighting the cancer for two years and eight months, the press release said.

Bayh spearheaded many initiatives and programs in Indiana, and while first lady of Indiana, she formed a nonprofit organization to combat adult illiteracy.

She was also involved with colleges and universities in the state, serving on the Dean’s Council at IU’s O’Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs and on the Board of Trustees at Butler University.

A statement from her family asked that in lieu of flowers, contributions be made to the Bayh Family Scholarship through SPEA. Her husband is an IU graduate.

IU President Michael McRobbie released a statement Saturday after the announcement of her death, recognizing her service on the Dean’s Council.

“Her involvement with the council contributed greatly to the O'Neill School's reputation for excellence and its mission to prepare students to become successful leaders who are driven to build a better world,” McRobbie said in the release

Gov. Eric Holcomb asked for prayers and support for the Bayh family in a tweet Saturday. 

“She was an extraordinary & radiant public servant, wife, mother & friend, who leaves a remarkable impact on our state & nation,” Holcomb said in the tweet. 

Former Sen. Joe Donnelly also tweeted condolences Saturday.

“Jill and I and our family want to express our deepest sympathies to our dear friend Evan Bayh on the passing of his amazing wife and our beloved friend Susan Bayh,” he said in the tweet.