arts food

COLUMN: 3 at-home snacks to satisfy the late-night munchies

entlatenightfoods022421.jpg

We’ve all been there.

Whether it’s a long night of studying, a movie night with friends or you’re just bored, chances are you’re hungry, don’t want to spend anymore money, you don’t want to wait for food to arrive and you definitely don’t want to drive to the grocery store.

You don’t have to grab your phone and browse what's available on delivery apps. 

The Indiana Daily Student arts desk staff has curated some of their favorite and easy-to-make recipes for when you need to satisfy that late night craving. 

Gounet

Sophomore Columnist Taylor Harmon shared her late-night secret recipe, which she coined “Gounet.” Pronounced goo-ney, Harmon said this snack is her family’s rip off of a French Gouter. It’s basically an everything-you-can-find-in-the-kitchen type of snack, she said.

The simple recipe consists of gathering random snack foods you like and putting them on a board. Harmon’s family usually includes traditional charcuterie ingredients such as cheese, olives, meats and spreads, she said.

Their family also adds random favorites from around their kitchen including tater tots, chips and guacamole and seaweed salad, Harmon said.

“You put it all on a table and just snack on it all night,” Harmon said.

The French-inspired snack is meaningful to her because it originally started out as a joke with her family, Harmon said. The idea is great for when you’re with friends and they all bring over their random contributions for the board. 

Although sophisticated and laidback, it is best when you want to snack, talk and play games, Harmon said.

Chocolate Mug Cake

Freshman Columnist Ellie Abin, has got you covered if you need to settle your sweet tooth. All you need is a few baking ingredients, a mug and a microwave.

Mug cakes are extremely easy to make and require ingredients which most people have at home at any given time, Albin said. You’re also able to mix in whatever you like.

“I’ve been making mug cakes for a few years now!” Abin said. “Since there aren’t eggs in it, you can microwave it to your likeness.”

The ingredients for the mug cake recipe include spraying a mug with cooking spray, then adding ¼ cup of flour, ¼ cup sugar, a teaspoon of salt, 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, 3 tablespoons milk and a dash of vanilla. From here you can add whatever else you would like, such as chocolate chips, M&M’s, marshmallows or nuts, Albin said.

To turn the batter into a cake, simply put it in the microwave for about a minute. Albin said she  recommends pairing the mug cake with ice cream and chocolate or butterscotch syrup.

Tortilla Puffs

A couple of times a year my friends request in the wee hours of the morning that I make my favorite late night snack for them, “Tortilla Puffs,” which my friends call “elephant ears” because of their similarity to the county-fair specialty.

They only require flour tortillas, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and whatever oil you can find.

To make them, add a ½ inch or so of oil to a pan or skillet and place it on medium heat until it’s hot. From there, take a pizza cutter and cut the tortillas into fourths while squeezing along the edge of the cut to make sure the dough is compact. 

Then add a few tortilla pieces to the oil and wait for them to puff up. It should take less than 10 seconds, and then you’ll flip over until they are golden brown on each side.

Add your preferred amount of sugar and cinnamon to a ziplock bag, add the chips and give them a shake. 

You’ll be left with a doughy, crunchy treat making you wish it was July and you were at the county fair.