men's basketball

Big Ten Men’s Basketball Tournament officially relocated to Indianapolis

spmarchmadness020921.jpg

The Big Ten Conference officially announced Tuesday that the 2021 men’s conference tournament will be relocated to Indianapolis. The tournament will be played in Lucas Oil Stadium, according to a press release.

The men’s tournament was originally planned to be played in Chicago at the United Center but will relocate to Indianapolis where the men’s NCAA Tournament will be played this year. The Big Ten women’s basketball tournament, which will be played March 9-13, was already planned for Indianapolis to be played in Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

“The decision to relocate the tournament to Indianapolis was based on multiple factors,” the Big Ten said in a statement. “First and foremost was the health and safety of student-athletes, coaches, officials and conference constituents. Hosting both the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments in the same city allows for cohesive testing and medical protocols for both events, as well as centralized accommodations surrounding the competition venues.”

IU head coach Archie Miller said Feb. 1, he fully supported the idea of relocating the tournament to Indianapolis, especially with the reduced travel protecting Big Ten teams that make the NCAA Tournament. 

The men’s tournament will be played March 10-14.