‘The RCA Bloomington Plant: An Illustrated History’ showcases Bloomington’s technological past

<p>Gib Apple and Sandy Lynch hold up their book, &quot;The RCA Bloomington Plant&quot;, in January. The book features a visual history of the Radio Corporation of America plant, which operated from 1940-1998. </p>

Gib Apple and Sandy Lynch hold up their book, "The RCA Bloomington Plant", in January. The book features a visual history of the Radio Corporation of America plant, which operated from 1940-1998.

“The RCA Bloomington Plant: An Illustrated History” is now available for purchase at the Monroe County History Center.

Bloomington was known as the “television capital of the world,” according to the back cover of the book. From 1940 to 1998, the Radio Corporation of America plant on Rogers Street employed thousands of Hoosiers who built millions of radios and televisions.

The factory’s mark on the community is told through photographs of employees working the assembly line and other memorabilia, which was collected by the Monroe County History Center.

Co-authors Gib Apple and Alexandra Lynch teamed up for “The RCA Bloomington Plant: An Illustrated History” because they were inspired by the history center’s 2018 exhibit “The Women of RCA.” Both writers are close with the RCA plant’s history, having once worked there themselves. Apple retired as a plant manager in 1992 after serving for 32 years, and Lynch worked there from 1977 to 1983.

The 93-page book is being sold for $15 at the Monroe County History Center’s Dunn Museum store, and online with contactless delivery available.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments