OPINION: The Big Ten finishes 2020 with a successful but limited bowl season

spnationalsports010321.jpg

This bowl season the Big Ten’s best looked to prove themselves against other Power Five competition for the first time all year. Following a cancellation of the TransPerfect Music City Bowl between Iowa and Missouri, the Big Ten was left with four matchups: two versus ACC opponents and two versus SEC opponents.

Bowl games defined the quality of each conference more than ever. As COVID-19 regulations were set, nonconference games were stripped away in the Big Ten. This severely limited schedules, making it harder to determine the strength of teams. 

After a 4-5 bowl season for the Big Ten in 2019, the conference needed a big week to solidify itself as a top conference. We’ll break down the bowl records of the Power Five conferences and how the Big Ten performed compared to expectations.

Duke’s Mayo Bowl: Wisconsin vs. Wake Forest 

Final Score: Wisconsin 42, Wake Forest 28

The Wisconsin Badgers came into bowl season as heavy favorites over the ACC’s Wake Forest. After falling down 14-0 in the first quarter, the Badgers outscored Wake Forest 42-14 to secure the Big Ten’s first win of the bowl season. Freshman quarterback Graham Mertz showed once again that he may be the best Wisconsin quarterback since Russell Wilson as he led the team to 6 touchdown drives in the final three quarters. The Badger defense came up with four interceptions in order to finish the year with a winning record of 4-3.

Vrbo Citrus Bowl: Northwestern vs. Auburn 

Final Score: Northwestern 35, Auburn 19

Despite being ranked 14th and winning the Big Ten West, Northwestern was a mere 4 point favorite vs. the War Eagles of the SEC. Most doubted Northwestern due to a massive talent gap. On the current roster, Auburn has 46 4- or 5-star recruits compared to Northwestern’s 4. Proving everyone wrong, the Wildcats pulled off a wire-to-wire victory led by former IU quarterback Peyton Ramsey. Ramsey threw for three touchdowns and 291 yards against the mighty SEC defense and ran for one more score. This victory gave the Big Ten West their fourth straight victory over SEC opponents. 

Allstate Sugar Bowl — CFP Semifinal: Ohio State vs. Clemson

Final Score: Ohio State 49, Clemson 28

The only underdogs out of the Big Ten were the Ohio State Buckeyes. Ohio State battled one of the most experienced playoff teams of the decade. After previously being 0-4 all-time versus Clemson, the Buckeyes handled the Tigers in an electric fashion. Quarterback Justin Fields out-dueled future No. 1 NFL draft pick Trevor Lawrence, throwing for six touchdown passes. This game puts the Big Ten in the championship game and proved the playoff committee should have given IU more respect. Ohio State will now play Alabama on Monday, Jan. 11. 

Outback Bowl: Indiana vs Ole Miss

Final Score: Ole Miss 26, Indiana 20

After falling to Tennessee last bowl season in heartbreaking fashion, Indiana was given another SEC opponent in the University of Mississippi. Although IU’s only loss was to No. 3 Ohio State, Indiana was robbed of a New Year’s 6 bowl game and instead given a 4-5 Ole Miss squad. Indiana has not won a bowl game since 1991. Sadly, that streak will continue with another heartbreaking loss in the Outback Bowl. IU failed to complete the undefeated Big Ten bowl record year despite Whop Philyor’s record-breaking 18 receptions and Stevie Scott’s two touchdowns. A hope of a top ten Indiana falls short, but the season Tom Allen led should still bring hope to a brighter future for IU Football. 

Related: [IU defense fails to match fast-paced Ole Miss offense in 26-20 Outback Bowl loss]

Although only four Big Ten teams had the chance to play, they once again solidified themselves as a top conference. Following a down year of 4-5 in 2019, the Big Ten finished tied with the second best winning percentage, only behind the Big 12 this bowl season. The Big Ten tied with the SEC and also split games against the top football conference.

2020 bowl records

ACC: 0-6, Big Ten: 3-1, Big 12: 6-0, Pac 12: 0-2, SEC: 6-2