sports track & field

IU track and field competes in Harvey-Simmons Invitational at Michigan

spiutfcooperwilliams011821.jpg

IU track and field participated in the Harvey-Simmons Invitational on Saturday in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in its first competition since the 2020 Big Ten Indoor Championships in February, an event the men’s team won.

Five Hoosiers recorded new personal bests, and two others set new Harvey-Simmons Invitational records. 

The event was non-scoring, meaning none of the competing teams — Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue and IU — were able to claim victory.

However, the Hoosiers had several runners earn first place in their events.

Redshirt junior Rikkoi Brathwaite clocked a new personal record of 6.64 seconds, the fastest 60-meter time by any runner in the country so far this season. 

Sophomore Nathan Stone took first place in the men's pole vault, finishing with a jump of 5.07 meters for his first career win as a Hoosier. 

The men were also led by senior Cooper Williams, who set a Harvey-Simmons Invitational meet record in the 800-meter with a time of 1:48.65. Redshirt senior Teddy Browning, whose meet record was broken by Williams, finished in second with a time of 1:51.69.

Junior JaiQuan Earls, earned a second-place finish in the long jump, recording 6.96 meters. Sophomore Grayson Rolen received second-place honors in the triple jump with a distance of 14.04 meters.

The women’s team also had a number of highly placed finishes in Saturday’s meet. 

Senior Anna Watson tied for first place in the pole vault after clearing a height of 4.06 meters. 

In her first career start, freshman Mahogany Jenkins finished second overall in the triple jump with a distance of 11.65 meters. 

The women continued their dominance in the field events with a second-place finish in the weight throw from senior Princess Brinkley with a distance of 19.85 meters.

In the women’s 800-meter, junior All-American Bailey Hertenstein set a new personal record with a time of 2:12.46, a time that earned her third place in the race. Junior Jenna Barker also set a personal best, finishing eighth in the 3,000-meter with a time of 9:38.34. 

Freshman Morgan Snow took home third place in the 60-meter with a time of 7.71. 

The team will look to build on its momentum when it returns home next Saturday at Harry Gladstein Fieldhouse in Bloomington for a meet with Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Northwestern.