bloomington

City of Bloomington seeks applications for resident-led Racial Equity Task Force

cataskforce012721

The City of Bloomington is seeking applicants to help foster diversity and equity in a new resident-led Racial Equity Task Force based on recommendations of the city’s Plan to Advance Racial Equity.

According to a press release, the Racial Equity Task Force will be a “resident-led, forward thinking, and future-focused body that will work to create a community environment that is accepting and appreciative of diversity, welcoming of all residents and visitors, and inclusive and equitable in the provision of services.”

Those interested in joining should complete an application by Monday, Feb. 15 at midnight. Up to 15 residents will be on the task force. If selected, members are asked to make a two-year commitment. 

While various tasks might be identified throughout the course of the work, members will work toward three main goals, which are identifying inequitable policies and protocols within City government, evaluating the disproportionate effect these policies have on Black, Latinx, and Indigenous residents and visitors, and presenting a set of recommendations to the City administration and City Council that lead to the development of a more equitable community, according to the press release.

Applicants will be notified if they are selected by Tuesday, Feb. 23, according to the press release. More information can be found by contacting Beverly Calender-Anderson.