sports women's basketball

OPINION: Hoosiers fail to finish in first legitimate test of the season against Kentucky

spiuwbb120620-2.jpg

Through three quarters, IU looked like the team that the Big Ten coaches predicted to win the Big Ten.

A balanced offensive attack by the Hoosiers mixed with a stifling defensive effort built them a 54-44 lead over the No. 11 Kentucky Wildcats heading into the fourth quarter. Sophomore forward Mackenzie Holmes established herself underneath with 16 points and 8 rebounds, while senior guard Jaelynn Penn sunk three of her first four 3-pointers.

The momentum quickly shifted once play resumed for the final period. In a sense, it felt like the Hoosiers took their foot off the gas.

Kentucky would go on an 11-0 run as IU’s offense became stagnant. 

The Hoosiers looked like a completely different team than we’ve seen to start the season. They were taking tough, contested fadeaway shots instead of finishing strong at the rim. The only positive was junior guard Grace Berger, who scored all of Indiana’s final 14 points.

Head coach Teri Moren gave props to Berger’s relentless effort, but also knew that the team left Lexington without playing their best.

“We needed to be aggressive for 40 minutes and I thought we didn’t do that,” Moren said.

As much as IU faltered late in the game, the Wildcats excelled equally as much. 

The guard-forward duo of Robyn Benton and Dre’una Edwards led the charge with a combined 18 points in the fourth quarter. They made some tough shots, but many of their looks were not contested by the Hoosier defense.

“In the second half, we almost gave up 50 points,” Moren said. “We feel like we’re a defensive-minded team so that was disappointing.”

One other improvement that needs to occur for sustained success is more offensive produciton from IU's bench. They totaled three points compared to the Wildcats’ 19 by their reserves. The lack of early-season depth forces the starters to eat minutes, something that Moren wants to limit as much as possible.

“Our bench has to continue to improve as we go because we can’t ride those five for the remaining of the season,” Moren said.

Right now, the only two replacements that receive valuable minutes are two newcomers — transfer Danielle Patterson and freshman Chloe Moore-McNeil. Both have had bright spots throughout the season, but have more room to grow.

In the grand scheme of the season’s outlook, this loss is not a huge dagger. Losing to the No. 11 team in the country by four points on their home court will not kill your resumé come March.

It is just the fashion in which IU fell apart. Playing competitive basketball for three quarters only to lose it at the end is devastating.

The Hoosiers have the opportunity to bounce back Dec. 13 in Bloomington when they face off against Butler for their final non-conference matchup.