No. 4 Ohio State football cancels matchup with Michigan due to COVID-19, potentially sending IU to Big Ten Championship

<p>Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields celebrates after scoring a touchdown Nov. 21 against IU in Columbus, Ohio. Ohio State&#x27;s game against Michigan was canceled Tuesday, which would put IU in the Big Ten Championship game against Northwestern and former IU quarterback Peyton Ramsey on Dec. 19 in Indianapolis.</p>

Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields celebrates after scoring a touchdown Nov. 21 against IU in Columbus, Ohio. Ohio State's game against Michigan was canceled Tuesday, which would put IU in the Big Ten Championship game against Northwestern and former IU quarterback Peyton Ramsey on Dec. 19 in Indianapolis.

Michigan canceled its game against No. 4 Ohio State on Tuesday due to a recent rise in COVID-19 cases within the program. The Buckeyes will miss their third game of the season, making them ineligible for the Big Ten Championship game on Dec. 19 unless the conference issues a rule change. 

If Ohio State is unable to play, No. 12 IU is next in line in the Big Ten East with a 6-1 record following a 14-6 victory against No. 16 Wisconsin on Dec. 5. No. 14 Northwestern will be the representative from the Big Ten West in the championship game.

According to the Big Ten, teams must play at least six games to be considered eligible for the conference championship. However, teams may play two fewer games than the league average if the average number of games played across the conference falls below six. 

Ohio State's other two cancellations were against Maryland on Nov. 14 and Illinois on Nov. 28.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments