arts iu cinema

Part one of IU 2020 Documentary premieres this Friday

entdocumentary111020.JPG

IU Cinema will be screening a virtual film event and Q&A session at 7 p.m. Friday, for the premiere of “IU 2020: Part 1.” 

The event will be taking place via Zoom due to the COVID-19 pandemic and is free of change. Attendees will be able to screen the film alongside members of the Office of the Provost, Executive Vice President and students involved in the film both on and off screen.

Ethan Gill, multimedia specialist for the Office of the Provost, is currently a leading director for “IU 2020”. He has been working on the “IU 2020” documentary series since 2016 when he was a student intern. 

"'IU 2020' is a four-year documentary experiment where we followed the lives of the same 12 students through their undergraduate tenure or r career,” Gill said. “This is produced by students and for students. The producers of the series are student multimedia interns at the Office of the Provost.”

Gill said attendees should expect to see growth, community, honesty and excellence from both the diverse cast of featured students and the student interns behind the cameras.

“They're the ones who tell the story,” Gill said. “They're the ones who find the golden nuggets that we connect to, as we watch these stories.”

The first three student features will premiere on Friday while the next three will become available on Dec. 8. Gill said the final six films will hopefully premiere in the spring.

“People like the student interns in this project, getting a chance to have that platform to try things out, see what sticks and what can, what can be built on in the future." Gill said.

Interested attendees can sign up for the virtual screening on IU Cinema’s website.