sports women's basketball

IU women’s basketball coach Teri Moren recognizes expectations at Big Ten Media Day

spiuwbbberry060120.jpeg

The Big Ten hosted a virtual Media Day on Friday morning, where each women’s basketball head coach had the opportunity to answer questions from the media.

The Hoosiers are No. 16 in the AP Poll, the highest ranking the program has reached in the preseason poll. The Big Ten coaches also predicted IU would win the Big Ten, a consensus that touched head coach Teri Moren the most.

“I was more grateful that we were selected by the Big Ten coaches,” Moren said. “That means a lot.”

As for the team’s high ranking, Moren emphasized the balance of her players recognizing its importance, but not getting caught up in it. More than anything, said she realizes that it was years in the making.

“I thought it was important for our group to understand the significance of Indiana women’s basketball,” Moren said. “There were kids before them that helped build this program.”

Two players in particular she cited were Tyra Buss and Amanda Cahill, who both graduated in 2018 but were instrumental in the program’s transformation.

Focusing on the upcoming season, Moren reiterated her excitement for this year’s team. 

She said she has been especially impressed with junior guard Grace Berger. After averaging 13 points per game last season, Berger was named as one of 20 candidates for the Cheryl Miller Award watch list, which recognizes the top small forward in the nation.

“Grace has been by far the best player in practice from a consistency standpoint,” Moren said. “She’s been way more vocal right now than she’s ever been and that comes from her growth as a player and as a person.”

The season has not been released yet, but the team will participate in a virtual Hoosier Hysteria at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 18. The event will be streamed on the program’s Facebook page.

Correction: IU women's basketball coach Teri Moren's name was misspelled in the original headline of the article. The IDS regrets this error.