student life

IU suspends students following football celebrations during COVID-19 pandemic

KirkwoodStudentCelebration

Some IU students are being suspended for attending large gatherings following IU football games in violation of IU’s public health policy and student code during the COVID-19 pandmeic. 

Students rushed onto Kirkwood Avenue and the Memorial Stadium parking lots after each of the two historic football victories over Penn State and Michigan. 

IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said “there was disciplinary action from violations” following the celebrations after the win over Penn State on Oct. 24. Carney did not have an exact number of how many students were suspended.

He said there have not been specific suspensions handed down for celebrations following the Michigan win on Nov. 7, but that remains a possibility. 

Following IU’s win over Penn State, IUPD deputy chief Shannon Bunger said students were being investigated for violating health protocols and student agreements signed before the beginning of the year. Bunger responded to the Memorial Stadium celebrations after the win over Penn State and said very few students were wearing masks. 

The same remained true that same night on Kirkwood and at both locations after the Michigan win. 

Students were suspended for violating gathering restrictions at the beginning of the school year and during the week before classes began when multiple large parties were held. The football celebrations and Halloween parties are the first major gatherings IU has seen since the start of the school year. In the weeks since the win over Penn State, IU has reported increases in COVID-19 positivity rates.