IU men’s basketball heads to Asheville, North Carolina, for the Maui Invitational

spiubb112920.jpeg

Following their first win of the season, the Hoosiers will head east instead of west for the Maui Invitational. 

The IU men’s basketball team is set to travel to Asheville, North Carolina, to play Providence at 2:30 p.m. Monday in the opening round of the Maui Invitational. The decision to move the tournament from Hawaii to North Carolina was made in September due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The eight-team bracket also features Texas, Davidson College, the University of North Carolina, the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Stanford University and the University of Alabama. 

Both IU and Providence are coming into the matchup with 1-0 records after defeating Tennessee Tech and Fairfield University, respectively, on the opening night of the college basketball season Wednesday. 

Despite the Hoosiers’ 30-point victory over the Golden Eagles, head coach Archie Miller still said there are a lot of adjustments that need to be made to have success in the Maui Invitational. 

“This team right now as you watch us, we are built differently,” Miller said in the postgame Zoom conference Wednesday. “We are a little bit more skilled and perimeter-oriented. With that being said, I think we are deficient on the glass right now.”

He said his biggest concern going into Asheville is that the team doesn't have many players going after the ball and rebounding outside of sophomore forward Trayce Jackson-Davis and junior forward Race Thompson. 

Miller also said the team needs to improve its offense efficiency and take better care of the ball. The Hoosiers had eight turnovers Wednesday against Tennessee Tech, with three coming from the team's guards.

“We need to be really good in terms of our upperclassmen at taking care of the ball and playing the game freely and not trying to force something,” Miller said. “Our efficiency and taking care of the ball especially going against that competition down there can’t give away easy baskets.”

The last concern for the team heading into the Maui Invitational is its shooting. The Hoosiers only shot 26.3% from beyond the arc against the Golden Eagles. 

“I think sometimes the first game jitters are in there, but other times it’s like, we have to step up and be better,” Miller said.

Providence came into the season ranked third in the Big East’s Preseason Coaches’ Poll. 

The Friars’ junior guard David Duke was named to the Preseason All-Big East First Team after finishing second on the team in scoring and averaging 42% from 3-point range during his sophomore year. 

“They’re a big, strong, physical, talented team,” Miller said. “We may be playing one of the best teams in the field in the first game.”

Providence head coach Ed Cooley also said IU presents a challenge for them, but he said the team is prepared for it and he’s excited to play against a well-coached and talented team.

“I’m just impressed with their athleticism,” Cooley said in a Friday press conference on Zoom. “And obviously they have one of the best players in the country we’re going to have to be attentive to.”

After Providence, IU will play either Davidson or No. 19 Texas, depending on the result of each game. If the Hoosiers win, they will play at 1 p.m. Tuesday or at 7 p.m. if they lose. IU could also look to play another ranked team in No. 16 North Carolina in the tournament

“I think it’s again a premier field here early. To be able to play three games in three days is a challenge but it’s great competition,” Miller said. “I think that’s probably what we’re going to need. Looking at our schedule, there’s not too many days ahead that are going to feel like this.”