Instant Recap: No. 13 IU defeats No. 23 Michigan 38-21, improves to 3-0

spliveupdates

IU football traveled to Piscataway, New Jersey, last week and defeated Rutgers 37-21. The Hoosiers are 2-0 against Big Ten opponents to start the season for the first time since 1991.

FINAL: IU defeats Michigan 38-21.

INTERCEPTION: IU junior defensive back Devon Matthews picks off Milton. The Hoosiers now have two interceptions in the fourth quarter while holding on to a 38-21 lead.

TOUCHDOWN: Scott finds his way into the end zone on a two-yard touchdown run, his second of the day. IU now has a 38-14 lead with 8:40 left to play.

INTERCEPTION: Milton throws his first interception of the season to junior cornerback Jaylin Williams. He now has three interceptions this season. IU takes possession on the Michigan 29-yard line.

TOUCHDOWN: The Michigan offense, to this point, have averaged more than 22 yards per completion. Milton connects with Bell for a 21-yard touchdown to bring the score to 31-21.

Fourth Quarter

TOUCHDOWN: IU respondes by orchestrating a methodical 10-play, 75-yard drive that ends in a one-yard touchdown run for junior running back Stevie Scott. Following hitting the extra point, the Hoosiers lead 31-14 with 4:39 left to play in the third quarter.

TOUCHDOWN: Milton fires into the end zone and completes to freshman wide receiver Roman Wilson for a 13-yard touchdown. Michigan hits the extra point but still trails IU 24-14 with 9:01 remaining in the third quarter.

10:21: Milton completes back-to-back throws to Bell. The two plays combine for 75-yards.

Third Quarter

Halftime: IU leads Michigan 24-7. The Hoosiers will receive the ball to start the second half.

TOUCHDOWN: Penix connects with junior tight end Peyton Hendershot for a one-yard touchdown. IU now leads Michigan 24-7 with 56 seconds to play in the first half.

5:17: Penix finds Fryfogle for a 35-yard receptions. Fryfogle has six catches for 133 yards and a touchdown.

FIELD GOAL: IU sophomore kicker Charles Campbell converts on a 52-yard field goal. The Hoosiers take a 17-7 lead with 6:53 left to play in the first half. The kick marked a career-long for Campbell.

8:01: On yet another third down attempt, Penix find senior wide receiver Whop Philyor for a 22-yard gain. Philyor now has six catches for 48 yards.

8:58: IU faces third and 12, but Michigan jumped offsides. The Wolverines are also called for defensive holding which results in a 10-yard penalty and an automatic first down.

Second Quarter

TOUCHDOWN: Penix leads IU on a seven-play, 75-yard drive that ends in a 24-yard touchdown to senior wide reciver Ty Fryfogle. The Hooseirs now lead 14-7, and Fryfogle has four catches for 82 yards with 1:41 left in the first quarter.

TOUCHDOWN: On the very next play, Milton throws deep to sophomore wide receiver Cornelius Johnson for a 37-yard touchdown. The Wolverines tie the game, 7-7.

5:06: Johnson is ejected from the game for throwing a punch at Michigan junior wide reciever Ronnie Bell.

6:56: Michigan punts on its second consecutive drive. IU's offense will take the field at its own 20-yard line.

TOUCHDOWN: IU sophomore quarterback Michael Penix Jr. fires the football into the end zone on three straight plays. The final one is hauled in by sophomore wide receiver Miles Marshall for a 13-yard touchdown. Following the extra point, the Hoosiers lead 7-0 with 8:57 remaining in the first quarter.

13:39: IU junior defensive back Jamar Johnson nearly comes away with an interception. Michigan junior quarterback Joe Milton's pass falls incomplete and the Wolverines go three-and-out. The Hoosiers will receive the punt and have their first offensive possession.

Kickoff: Michigan wins the coin toss and elects to receive. IU will start the game on defense.

First Quarter