crime & courts

UPDATE: Police arrest additional suspect in October murder

The Bloomington Police Department arrested a man Tuesday, who is allegedly connected to a murder that occurred at a residence in the 1600 block of North Willis Drive on Oct. 26, police said. 

Keshawn Bess, 23, was located through an ongoing investigation and arrested in Indianapolis on the preliminary charges of murder and robbery resulting in bodily injury. He is the second person to be arrested in connection with the crime.

Officers responded to the scene of the shooting Oct. 26 after reports of multiple gunshots around 8:30 p.m., according to a press release from BPD Capt. Ryan Pedigo. Officers found an unresponsive 26-year-old man on the front porch with a gunshot wound in the chest.

The coroner's office later identified the man as Damon Brown of Bloomington, according to an email from coroner Joani Shields. The autopsy showed his cause of death was a single gun shot wound to the chest.

Police believe three men, the suspects, were invited to the residence, according to information from witnesses. Upon arrival, the suspects reportedly tried to rob the victim, firing guns in the process, according to the release.

Jamal McFadden, a 24-year-old Indianapolis man, was arrested Oct. 28 in connection with the crime.

McFadden left his car at the scene of the Monday shooting and lost his keys, BPD Sgt. Dana Cole said. McFadden then attempted to report his car as stolen to the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, where a surveillance video disproved his story. BPD then acquired a search warrant for McFadden's cell phone records and was able to determine he was in Bloomington the night of the shooting.

A third arrest hasn't been made.

This story was updated 1:04 p.m. Nov. 25 to add information about arrests made.