Male student found dead Monday in IU apartments

<p>Indiana University Police Department cars are parked in front of University East apartments Oct. 12 on IU’s campus. The body of a male student was found Monday morning in IU’s University East apartments, IUPD Deputy Chief Shannon Bunger said.</p>

Indiana University Police Department cars are parked in front of University East apartments Oct. 12 on IU’s campus. The body of a male student was found Monday morning in IU’s University East apartments, IUPD Deputy Chief Shannon Bunger said.

The body of a male student was found Monday morning in IU’s University East apartments, IU Police Department Deputy Chief Shannon Bunger said. Officers aren’t suspecting foul play and believe at this time he died from natural causes, Bunger said. 

The Monroe County coroner's office identified the student Tuesday as 29-year-old Joseph O'Connor.

IUPD responded to a call around 11:30 a.m. after a maintenance worker entered the deceased’s apartment to check the smoke detector, Bunger said. The maintenance worker said the student was lying on the floor and tried to wake him up before calling IUPD for a welfare check, he said. 

When officers arrived at the scene, they determined the student was dead. They haven’t identified who the student is or what year he was yet. 

The student had significant medical history and no drug use is suspected as the cause of death, Monroe County Coroner Joani Shields said in an email.

Shields said an autopsy has not yet been requested because the cause of death appears to be natural.

This story was updated at 3:07 p.m. Tuesday to include statements from the Monroe County coroner.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments