Instant Recap: IU football defeats Rutgers 37-21

spiufbrutgers103020_28.JPG

IU football opened its season with a 36-35 victory in overtime over Penn State last Saturday in Bloomington. This week, the team is on the road and traveled to Piscataway, New Jersey, to face a Rutgers that defeated Michigan State 38-27.

The Hoosiers will be without sophomore running back David Ellis and sophomore wide receiver Miles Marshall.

FINAL: IU 37, Rutgers 21

1:31: Rutgers appeared to score on a 55-yard touchdown on fourth and 32, but after a series of lateral passes, a penalty for an illegal forward pass was called and IU takes over on downs.

3:19: Rutgers attemps an onside kick and recovers.

TOUCHDOWN: Vedral connects with Melton for Rutgers' second passing touchdown of the day. The Scarlet Knights failed to convert on a two-point conversion to cut the score to 37-21.

9:39: Rutgers attempts its third fourth down conversion, but fails to earn a first down. IU takes possession and retains its 37-15 lead.

TOUCHDOWN: Following a diving attempt from IU junior running back Stevie Scott to reach the end zone, Penix scores on his second one-yard touchdown. This time it was a pass to Hendershot. Campbell's extra point is good, and the Hoosiers lead 37-15.

Fourth Quarter

1:36: Rutgers goes for it on fourth and four, but Vedral's pass is knocked down. IU takes over on downs.

TOUCHDOWN: Penix completes a two-yard touchdown pass to Hendershot, and IU converts the extra point. The Hoosiers lead 31-15 with 3:56 left in the third quarter.

TOUCHDOWN: Rutgers sophomore running back Kay'Ron Adams scores on a 37-yard touchdown run down the left sideline. The Scarlet Knights convert a two-point conversion to bring the score to 23-15. IU still leads by one score with 5:34 left to play in the third quarter.

FIELD GOAL: Campbell connects on a 31-yard field goal despite IU reaching the red zone once again. The Hoosiers take a 23-7 lead.

12:19: On the first play following the Scarlet Knights' turnover, Penix throws deep to senior wide reciever Whop Philyor for a 63-yard gain. Philyor is called for a facemask penalty that moves the Hoosiers back to the Scarlet Knights' 20-yard line.

INTERCEPTION: Junior linebacker Micah McFadden undercuts Vedral's pass and forces the team's third takeaway of the game.

Third Quarter

HALFTIME: Penix kneels the ball to run out the clock, and the Hoosiers head to the locker room with a 20-7 lead.

TOUCHDOWN: Penix finds senior wide receiver Ty Fryfogle for his first passing touchdown of the game. The 15-yard score was Fryfogle's first of the season. Campbell's extra point is good, and IU leads 20-7 with 3:13 left in the first half.

INTERCEPTION: IU junior cornerback Jaylin Williams records his second interception of the season to set up the offense inside Rutgers territory.

TOUCHDOWN: Penix scores on a one-yard quarterback sneak. The ensuing extra point from Campbell is good, and IU takes a 13-7 lead with 4:56 left to play in the first half.

INTERCEPTION: Junior linebacker Cam Jones pressures Vedral on third down and the football gets knocked into the air. Sophomore defensive lineman Jonathan King comes away with the interception, and the Hoosiers will take over inside the red zone.

6:08: IU calls its first timeout of the first half. Rutgers faces third and five from its own 19-yard line.

9:57: IU sophomore cornerback Tiawan Mullen flies into the backfield on third down and records his second sack of the game. Rutgers is forced to punt from its own three-yard line.

FIELD GOAL: Campbell scores on a 28-yard kick. IU still trails Rutgers, 7-6.

13:14: Sophomore running back Sampson James slashes through the middle of the field for a 16-yard rush and an IU first down. Junior tight end Peyton Hendershot catches a 14-yard pass on the next play.

Second Quarter

FIELD GOAL: The IU offense fails to get into the end zone and sophomore kicker Charles Campbell converts on a 42-yard field goal. Rutgers still leads, 7-3.

3:23: Rutgers sophomore linebacker Mohamed Toure is ejected for a targeting penalty.

4:34: IU sophomore quarterback Michael Penix Jr. keeps the ball himself and runs for a 25-yard gain and a first down.

6:13: Back-to-back penalties give the Hoosiers a second down with 25 yards to go on their own 18-yard line.

TOUCHDOWN: Rutgers senior quarterback Noah Vedral finds senior wide receiver Bo Melton for a 23-yard touchdown. The Scarlet Knights take a 7-0 lead with 7:35 reamining in the first quarter.

9:22: IU punts for the second time in as many drives. The Hooseirs have gone three-and-out on their first two possessions.

First Quarter

KICKOFF: Rutgers receive the opening kickoff and return the ball to its own 20-yard line.