IU students, faculty and alumnus react to test optional admissions process

_MG_9979.jpg

IU created a test-optional admissions process starting with the 2021 school year. This policy for the admissions process allows for incoming students to apply without submitting SAT or ACT scores and was approved by the IU Board of Trustees last December. 

Research shows that for most students, high school GPA and standardized test scores provide the best prediction of academic success at IU. However, standardized test scores may not show some students full potential, according to the Office of Admissions website. 

Test-optional admissions may be available for direct admissions’ processes in different IU schools as well. Each school within IU-Bloomington is evaluating their criteria and process for direct admission, according to the website.

Megan Ray, associate director for the Kelley School of Business, said potential Kelley majors should use the business school’s direct admission petition if they are applying as a test-optional student.

“We have a petition process and have had the process for years and years," Ray said. "The purpose is for any student who doesn't meet the direct admission requirements outright. We expect and have been advertising that test-optional students should apply for our petition program."  

Kelly Fox, a 2019 IU graduate, said test-optional admissions will be a good move, especially now with the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“On the COVID-front, it helps with peace of mind and also safety in some cases for students,” Fox said. “I do think it’s a good thing. From what I understand, many schools have begun to switch and overall, taking the ACT or SAT can be a great option for some students but not all students.” 

Fox said she thinks the move toward optional testing could be either potentially helpful or harmful to students from lower income areas. 

“For certain students, such as minority students specifically, standardized tests can go both ways," Fox said. "More privileged students have access to more resources for these exams. Oftentimes minority students can come from lower resource areas. Sometimes their schools aren't as highly regarded and their grade point average may not be as great, so the standardized tests can be sort of equalizing.” 

IU alumnus Andrej Sikoski, a first year medical student, said universities should keep standardized testing in admissions processes for the most part because the students have multiple factors to consider, such as testing biases, financing individual and school resources and considering scholarship requirements. 

“One number, one day isn’t indicative of what type of student or professional you are going to be," Sikoski said. "On the other hand, it is the only way to standardize student performance. I'm glad it’s left up to the students, and it alleviates a financial and emotional burden for students who need it." 

Some postgraduate schools are also moving toward a test-optional admissions process due to the ongoing pandemic, Sikoski said.

“I know with COVID, a lot of medical schools are moving to waive the MCAT, so I think COVID definitely complicates things this year," Sikoski said. "I like, personally, how it’s left up to the students to decide.”

The class of 2024 barely missed the deadline to be considered for test-optional admissions. 

Freshman Katie Brenneke was not upset about missing the cut-off, but is instead happy the new process could encourageand allow a more diverse group of students to attend IU. 

“I think that giving more students the opportunity to apply to IU will make them more confident in their abilities and make them want to learn at a big school like this," Brenneke said. "Their abilities won’t be defined by a number, and if they continue to do this then I think we may have a more diverse group of students coming to IU.”