IU football redshirt senior Marcelino Ball suffers torn ACL

<p>Defensive back Marcelino Ball watches the Penn State marching band pregame show Nov. 16 at Beaver Stadium in State College, Pennsylvania. Ball will likely be out for the season after suffering a torn ACL.</p>

Defensive back Marcelino Ball watches the Penn State marching band pregame show Nov. 16 at Beaver Stadium in State College, Pennsylvania. Ball will likely be out for the season after suffering a torn ACL.

IU football defensive back Marcelino Ball will likely be out for the season after tearing his ACL with a typical recovery time of four to six months.

Ball, a redshirt senior out of Roswell, Georgia, was expected to start for IU at husky, a hybrid linebacker-safety position.

Ball totaled 47 tackles and two sacks in 13 games for IU last season. He was third on the team in tackles in 2018 with 59 on his way to an All-Big Ten honorable mention.

In 2016, he finished third on the team with 75 tackles in 12 starts and earned an All-Big Ten honorable mention and was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman team. 

Ball started the first three games of the season in 2017 before he suffered an injury and received a medical redshirt.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.