politics national

Indiana politicians respond to death of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg 

cargb091920.jpg

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died Friday night in her home from complications from metastatic pancreatic cancer, the Supreme Court said in an announcement Friday. She was 87.

Some Indiana representatives and leaders shared their condolences following the announcement. Gov. Eric Holcomb asked businesses and residents to lower their flags to half-staff to honor Ginsburg. Other people took to Twitter or wrote press releases to discuss Ginsburg’s death.

Pete Buttigieg, former South Bend Mayor and a former Democratic candidate for president:

1. First tweet: “Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a titan of justice. Her jurisprudence expanded the rights of all Americans, shaping our lives for the better. And her example now shines within the history of our country, there to inspire generations.”

2. Second tweet: “Take everything you’ve been feeling last night and this morning, and let it be your propulsion. 2020 has served up one cruel blow after another—but we get to decide how it ends, and what comes next. It’s up to us.”

Dr. Woody Myers, Democratic candidate for governor: “Justice Ginsburg was an icon for so many of us who counted on her steadfast jurisprudence as America continues to seek justice for all its people,” said Myers, according to a Friday press release. “It is a clarion call for Americans to honor Justice Ginsburg’s dying wish to reject the temptation of laying the future of American jurisprudence on the shoulders of an administration that rejects the basic tenets of the American ideals of equal justice for all.

Rep. Jackie Walorski, R-2nd District: “Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dedicated her life to public service, and our nation will always remember her with gratitude as a trailblazer for women. May she Rest In Peace, and may God comfort her family in this difficult time.”

Rep. Jim Banks, R-3rd District:

1. First tweet: “Condolences to Justice Ginsburg’s family during this difficult time. May she RIP.”

2. Second tweet: “I hope the President will nominate Amy Coney Barrett and the Senate confirms her before the end of the year.”

Rep. Greg Pence, R-6th District: “Rest In Peace, Ruth Bader Ginsburg. A dedicated Supreme Court Justice who lived a life of service. My prayers and condolences to her family and loved ones.”

Rep. André Carson, D-7th District: “Our entire nation mourns the enormous loss of Justice #RuthBaderGinsburg. I knew her to be smart, humble and kind. America knew her as a fearless and tireless defender of civil rights. We must keep up her life's work to guarantee America's freedoms and opportunities for all.”

Rep. Larry Bucshon, R-8th District: “R.I.P Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Thank you for your service to your country.”

Sen. Todd Young, R-Ind: “As Americans mourn the loss of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, we remember her extraordinary life. Justice Ginsburg was a trailblazer in the legal profession, rising to become the second female to serve on the nation's highest court and earning a special place in our nation's history. Her commitment to public service will continue to inspire future generations of Americans. I offer my deepest condolences to Justice Ginsburg’s family during this difficult time.”