crime & courts bloomington

UPDATE: Four dead in alleged triple homicide-suicide in Bloomington identified Tuesday

Bloomington Police Department is currently investigating an alleged triple homicide-suicide that occurred Sunday morning, according to a press release from BPD. 

Officers responded to a call at approximately 10:17 a.m. to a house in the 2600 block of South Olcott Boulevard, according to the release. The caller said she went to the house to pick up her friend and no one answered the door when she knocked. She said she then used a key to enter the house, found her friend dead in her room, then left to call 911. 

Officers found four deceased people with gunshot wounds when they arrived, according to the release. The release said evidence suggests a 61-year-old man shot and killed his 54-year-old wife, 26-year-old daughter and 18-year-old son before shooting himself, with no motive currently known. 

Monroe County Coroner Joani Shields identified the four deceased as 18-year-old Jakob Mumper, 26-year-old Emma Mumper, 54-year-old Annamarie Greta Simon-Mumper and 61-year-old Jeffrey Mumper, according to a Tuesday morning Herald-Times article. 

An autopsy conducted Wednesday by the coroner confirmed the presumed causes of death.

Jeffrey Mumper was listed as a former employee in IU’s Department of Physics, according to the IU Directory. 

Simon-Mumper worked for the Monroe County Community School Corporation as an elementary school special education teaching assistant, and Jakob Mumper was a student and competitive swimmer at Bloomington High School North, according to the article. 

Mayor John Hamilton released a statement Sunday evening mourning the loss of the family and urged for Bloomington residents to support each other.

“In this devastating moment, let Bloomington come together as one family, and remember we are here to take care of one another,” Hamilton said in the release.

If you or someone you know is experiencing depression or suicidal thoughts, there are resources to help. IU Counseling and Psychological Services is on the fourth floor of the IU Health Center and offers help with stress management, anxiety, depression and more. To set up an appointment, go here. In an emergency, call 812-855-5711, which is available 24/7. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255.

This story was updated at 10:50 a.m. Thursday to include confirmation of the causes of death from the Monroe County coroner office.