Bloomington Academy of Film and Theatre introduces BAFT Studios

film.jpg

The Bloomington Academy of Film and Theatre is introducing BAFT Studios, a new series where aspiring filmmakers can work on a short film over a seven to eight week period from start to finish. Participants older than 18 can work in the writer’s room, as an actor, the actual filming process or editing the final product. 

BAFT professionals will help filmmakers and actors edit the film throughout each project in the series. Then, the films will be submitted to film festivals, according to a press release. 

Byron Wolter, head of filmmaking at BAFT, worked with executive director John Armstrong to create filmmaking opportunities for actors and filmmakers. 

BAFT Studios offers four different courses to choose from. The Writer’s Room is for people wanting to create the story and help with the writing process. The Actors course will allow people to bring to life their characters to life. The Filmmakers course will allow people to work behind the scenes and create the film. The Editors course is for people who will fine-tune the film and eventually create the finished product. 

Wolter said he hopes those working on the films in the BAFT Studios series will gain more experience of working in the film industry at a more professional level.

“BAFT Studios is an opportunity for actors and filmmakers to come together, work together and create a professional project, while learning the craft of acting from experienced people in the industry and also the craft of filmmaking from people in the industry as well,” Wolter said. 

The first project in the BAFT Series is currently underway according to Wolter. The BAFT Series is getting ready for their next project: a horror-inspired short film that will begin production in early October.

Managing director Eric Shelley hopes BAFT Studios will be able to give people in a smaller town the same education opportunities that are usually seen in bigger cities where the film industry is more prominent. 

“For the horror film project coming up, we have a writer’s room component so we can bring writers in to create the story,” Shelley said. “We have actors that are going to act it, filmmakers that are going to film it."

BAFT is taking safety precautions in their studio to work safely during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"We are implementing pretty strict health and safety guidelines with masks and sanitation so that people feel safe," Shelley said.

For more detailed information on safety measures and how to sign up for the classes, visit the BAFT Studios website