sports   |   swimming & diving

U.S. Swimming names six IU swimmers to 2020-21 national team roster

spusaswim082120

Lilly King talks to the media after winning the 200-yard breaststroke on the final night of the 2019 NCAA Tournament. King is one of six former and current IU swimmers that were selected to the US National team Friday. IDS file photo and Matt Cohen

USA Swimming announced the 115 swimmers that were selected for the National Teamon Thursday, which included six current and former IU swimmers. IU is one of 32 NCAA universities to be represented on the team.

Lilly King was the only Hoosier of the 56 swimmers to make the women's team. King, an eight-time national champion in the 100-yard and 200-yard breaststroke during her time at IU, was only the second woman in NCAA history to sweep those championships in her collegiate career.

At the 2016 Summer Olympics, King won the gold medal in the 100-meter breaststroke, setting an Olympic record with a time of 1:04.93.

The four ex-Hoosiers that made the 59-man roster are Zach Apple, Ian Finnerty, Cody Miller and Blake Pieroni.

Apple transferred to IU from Auburn University before his senior season and earned seven All-American honors at the NCAA Championships in his lone season with the Hoosiers. Finnerty, a Bloomington native, earned 14 All-American honors over his four seasons at IU. At the 2016 Olympics, Miller and Pieroni both won a gold medal as a part of the 4x100-meter medley relay team. Miller also won the bronze medal in the men’s 100-meter backstroke.

The only current Hoosier swimmer to make either the men’s or women’s National Team was redshirt sophomore Michael Brinegar. He took an Olympic redshirt last year to prepare for the now-postponed 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Brinegar placed second in the 1,650-yard freestyle at the NCAA Championships in 2018 during his freshman year — the best finish in the event by a Hoosier in 46 years — and was named an All-American.

More in Sports