arts community events performances

Local artists to perform in concert series at People's Park

arts filler.JPG

There is a free concert from 4:30 to 6 p.m. every Thursday at People's Park, located on the corner of Kirkwood Avenue and North Dunn Street.

The concert series was created in 2003 and was originally intended to give Bloomington residents an opportunity to relax and enjoy live music during their lunch hour, said Crystal Ritter, community events coordinator for the Parks and Recreation department. 

Park Concert Series is put on by the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation department and is meant to be a community event that features local artists.

People who attend the concert series can expect to hear a variety of musical genres, including Monika Herzig and Peter Keinle’s modern, eclectic jazz, Matixando’s community-centered Latin fusion and Russian Cowboy’s indie rock stylings, Ritter said. Herzig and Keinle will perform Thursday.

The Parks and Recreation Department has provided guidelines in order to best protect the public amid the COVID-19 pandemic while still offering the Bloomington community opportunities to experience the talent of local artists, according to the series’ Facebook page. 

These guidelines include recommending that visitors wear masks, providing hand sanitizer throughout the park and limiting the number of attendees in People’s Park to 50. The department will also livestream the concert on its Facebook page for those who are unable to attend.

“We have been adjusting this concert series as well as some of our other events throughout the year due to COVID-19,” Ritter said. “So far, we have been able to safely run these concerts, and many of the musicians that have played this year have been so grateful that we are still offering a live music option for them to perform where they feel safe doing so.”

Updates on the concert series and other local performances can be found on the City of Bloomington's community events page.