student life business & economy black lives matter protests

IU students raise tens of thousands of dollars for various causes after George Floyd's death

cablmfundraiser061020.jpg

In response to the killing of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer, multiple IU organizations have begun to fundraise to show their support for the current movements across the country. Over the past week, organizations have raised tens of thousands of dollars which have been donated to many Black-owned or supported groups.

On June 2, IU alumna Carmen Carigan and two of her peers created “Hoosiers for BLM” through a GroupMe group message. The group quickly grew to over 2,000 members, including IU students of all ages living across the country. Carigan said she had a goal of raising $5,000 by Friday, June 5.

“After one week of creating the group, we have been able to raise $90,000,” Carigan said. “The funds raised from this group have been designated to be used as bail, memorial, and community funds.”

“Hoosiers for BLM” proceeds have been donated to over 60 organizations thus far including the George Floyd Memorial Fund and the Minnesota Freedom Fund.

IU student organizers of the Enough is Enough protest on June 5 raised $5,575 for the Banneker Community Center in Bloomington, a place that serves many Black young people in the community.

Emma Williams created a GoFundMe dedicated to organizations that are owned or operated by Black people. Williams is a part of the Delta Alpha chapter of Phi Mu at IU. With the help of her sorority sisters, a total of $1,399 has been raised so far over the past week.

“We are currently splitting the donations by five organizations,” Williams said. “Those five include: Color of Change, The Loveland Foundation, Twin Cities Recovery Project, Black Visions Collective and Campaign Zero.”

The donations that have been raised in the past week have already been sent to the organizations. As of right now, Williams has no end date for the GoFundMe page and is interested in adding more organizations to the current list.

“Hoosiers for Justice” is another fundraiser created by organizations on campus. This fundraiser consists of a bracket tournament with 29 organizations. Aside from sororities and fraternities, the IU Contemporary Dance Program, the musical theatre program, and Jhanak are participating in the tournament.

The bracket fundraiser began Friday and as of now 29 organizations are participating in the multi-week fundraising competition.

The proceeds from the bracket tournament will be donated to Black Lives Matter and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

Acacia fraternity is also helping raise money for Le Peep, a restaurant franchise which has a minority-owned location in downtown Indianapolis. Le Peep Indy has been harshly affected by the pandemic and looting after recent protests. 

After the organization raises the $4,500 to cover Le Peep’s damages, they will donate the proceeds to My Block, My Hood, My City. This organization began in Chicago and provides the youth with the opportunity to explore community development, culinary arts, entrepreneurship, etc. They have four core values including: interconnectivity, empathy, hope and civic responsibility.

“None of the fundraising would be possible without fantastic and brave Black advocates, scholars, and organizations who are leading this revolution,” Williams said.