coronavirus

IU Health hospitals relax visitor restrictions despite continued COVID-19 cases

caiuhealthvisitorsbrief061020.jpg

IU Health hospitals put temporary visitor restrictions into place to help stop the spread of COVID-19 in March. According to a release, starting June 15, these restrictions will loosen even though the number of Indiana residents diagnosed with coronavirus continues to increase.

The chain of hospitals and medical centers will now allow one visitor per patient each day and only in certain areas. Visitors will be given a mask and are required to wear it during the entire visit.

The visitors will also be screened pre-entry and must be 18 or older. Patients who test positive for COVID-19 are not allowed to have visitors, and whether patients in emergency departments, ambulatory surgery centers, medical offices and outpatient clinics can have visitors will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

More information about steps IU Health is taking to keep patients are visitors safe are on its website.

According to Indiana’s COVID-19 Dashboard, there are 38,033 total cases as of June 9 in the state. In the past week, an average of 408 new cases were confirmed each day.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that the virus is mainly spread from person to person and still recommends people wash their hands frequently, cover their noses and mouths with a mask when around others and avoid close contact with others.