IU athletics community voices support for George Floyd

spiusupport060220.jpg

After the killing of George Floyd on May 25, protests have emerged around the country. Prominent figures have spoken up. Along with the movement, many coaches, players and members of the IU athletics community have voiced their feelings on the issue.

Fred Glass, IU athletic director:

“The Indiana University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics stands with our students in our collective devastation and outrage over the senseless and inexcusable killing of George Floyd. Ever since I first saw the video of George Floyd’s murder, my heart has been hurting in a way I can’t remember it ever hurting, even though this is only the latest of too many examples of the awful consequence of racism so endemic in our society.

Still, I know my pain is only a shadow of that being experienced by people of color because as a white person, I can never truly understand the depth of their pain. This was underscored to me by a comment one of our female African-American students shared with me last night: 'Mr. Glass, this is personal because somebody died because he looked like me.'

Our students are hurting. All of them. They are our family, and we love them. We are proud to be a Department that has always put the holistic care and support of our students first which is all the more important in tough times.

We can’t let ourselves be content to send the Floyd family our ‘thoughts and prayers’ and then lapse into moving on to other things, or we will be condemning ourselves to continuing to endure these kinds of atrocities, and George Floyd’s death will have been in vain. While almost any action seems insufficient given the overwhelming challenge that racism poses to all of us, that can’t deter us into inaction. We need to be the change we want to see in the world."

Read the full statement here.

Tom Allen, head football coach: 

“My heart is broken by what is going on in our country. Racial injustice is wrong and it MUST be addressed!! I Believe we are to LOVE EACH OTHER! No matter one’s skin color. Love is a choice. Our prayers are with George Floyd’s family. John 15:12 #LEO

Teri Moren, head women’s basketball coach:

“I am deeply saddened with the events that have transpired around the death of George Floyd and civil unrest in our nation in recent days. I pray for Mr. Floyd’s family and friends. Racial injustice and police brutality have no place in this country. 

It has been one of the privileges of my life to coach, mentor and lead young women. I don’t pretend to know how people of color feel, what I do know is that I stand with and by them. Racism has no place in this world! It requires ALL of us to make a change! We can do and be so much better!

I support those who have so bravely stood up to demand change in our country. Now is the time to learn, grow, and ACT! Change must happen NOW!”

Whop Philyor, senior wide receiver, IU football:

“People are so scared to STAND UP for what’s RIGHT because they’re too busy worried about their image and how others view/perceive them. How can you just sit back and watch people be brutal hurt or even killed? But your image is more important I AM SO SICK! #BlackLivesMatter”

Michael Penix Jr., sophomore quarterback, IU football

“Praying for US #BlackLivesMatter

Nick Sheridan, football offensive coordinator:

“Philippians 2:4 says ‘Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also the interests of others’. The past few days and weeks have been difficult – it has brought on a range of emotions for myself and people whom I love – sadness, anger, frustration, fear and worst of all for some… hopelessness. George Floyd’s death is inexcusable – we all pray for his family and for justice. I have empathy for the Black Community. To my friends, fellow coaches, and current and former players who are black – the racism you experience in this Country is wrong. I want you to know that I love you, that I care about you, I appreciate you, you are important to me, and I am here to support and help you any way that I can.”

Collin Hartman, former IU basketball forward:

“Man...I can’t even imagine the fear my black brothers and sisters have to live with. It’s unacceptable. I don’t know how people can hold so much hate in their heart for a difference in skin color. This world NEEDS to CHANGE...NOW! #BlackLivesMatter

Clif Marshall, basketball director of performance:

“Team sports teach us to love our teammates regardless of race. As a country let’s ‘team up’ and unite as one. Let’s pray for peace and justice. Evil won’t win.”

Trayce Jackson-Davis, sophomore forward, IU basketball:

“Use your voice to be the change in the world.... Its not Blacks vs Whites. Its EVERYBODY vs RACISM. #BLM