coronavirus

Indiana State Fair canceled due to coronavirus pandemic

castatefairbrief060420

Visitors walk in and out of the Midway amusement park at the Indiana State Fair in 2012. The 2020 state fair has been canceled, but a modified State Fair 4-H Livestock Show will take place on the fairgrounds in August. IDS file photo

The Indiana State Fair has been canceled for 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic. The Indiana State Fair Commission and Indiana State Fair Board announced the event’s cancelation Thursday afternoon. 

A modified State Fair 4-H Livestock Show will take place on the fairgrounds in August. 

“Safety is our number one priority. We’ve spent months working through options that would allow us to host the Fair,” Cindy Hoye, executive director of the Indiana State Fair Commission, said in a release. “Agriculture and youth are the foundation of our mission and the heartbeat of the Indiana State Fair, so we are determined and proud to honor our 4-H members with a version of that State Fair experience that allows Indiana’s youth to be recognized for their dedication and hard work.”

In 2019, nearly 879,000 people attended the fair. 

“We are grateful for the support of our State Fair Family; each one of you who makes the iconic event possible every summer,” Hoye said. “To our beloved fans, staff, sponsors, exhibitors, 4-H and FFA members, vendors, volunteers and entertainers – we look forward to being back at full strength in August 2021.”

For more information on the modified 4-H Fair visit the Indiana State Fair website.