sports   |   men's basketball   |   women's basketball   |   football

First wave of IU Athletics coronavirus tests all return negative

spiucovidupdate062320

Pictured is the view of Memorial Stadium outside the Tobias Nutrition Center located on the second floor on the south end of the stadium. Staff and players from IU football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball were tested for COVID-19 in preparation for the practices to restart. IDS file photo and Matt Begala

All 187 coronavirus tests from IU athletes and staff came back negative, according to a release from the IU athletic department Tuesday.

Athletes who were tested in this round of screenings include staff, coaches and players from IU football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball. The testing began June 9 in preparation for summer workouts.

On June 1, the NCAA began lifting protocols barring teams from meeting. Since then, a number of schools have dealt with players and athletic staff members testing positive. The University of Texas at Austin reported 15 cases, and Clemson University reported 28 cases.

IU requires all athletes and staff in the program to undergo daily medical checks, which involve a temperature check and a questionnaire about symptoms.  

IU football was allowed to resume practice June 15, and men’s and women’s basketball were allowed to begin practice June 18, according to IU guidelines. All workouts are strictly voluntary in order to comply with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines.

Workouts for women’s soccer are set to begin July 6, volleyball will return July 8, men’s soccer will return July 13, field hockey will return July 15 and cross-country will return Aug. 18.

Sports that are not played in the fall are set to come back when school resumes.

More in Sports