Eight Hoosiers join Anti-Hate and Anti-Racism Coalition

spiubigtencoalition061620.jpeg

The Big Ten conference released details Monday on the new Anti-Hate and Anti-Racism Coalition on Monday. Members of the coalition include student-athletes, coaches, athletic directors, presidents, chancellors and faculty members.

Each Big Ten university, the conference’s administration, university alumni and the Big Ten Network have representation on the coalition. There are eight members from IU.

IU’s representatives are incoming athletic director Scott Dolson, senior associate athletic director Anthony Thompson, senior associate athletic director Mattie White, faculty athletics representative C. Kurt Zorn, wrestling head coach Angel Escobedo, volleyball head coach Steve Aird, women’s swimming and diving junior Savanna Spears and men’s basketball junior Race Thompson.

“I am grateful to have the opportunity to use my platform as a student-athlete to combat hate and racism in our country,” Spears said in a release. “It is so important that we go out and vote so that all our voices can be heard.”

The coalition was first announced June 1 in an open letter from Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren. The purpose of the coalition is for members of Big Ten Universities to work together to counter racism and hate.

“The events in our country and around the world during the past few months have strengthened my fundamental belief in our need to develop tangible and actionable efforts in a collective manner and provide viable solutions addressing the issues of hate and racism in our society,” Warren said in a release. “We have the distinct opportunity and responsibility through our Coalition to continually encourage, educate and empower our student-athletes as we embrace transparent and much-needed dialogue regarding meaningful issues that have impacted race relations for many years.”