IU track and field earns 12 All-American honors

spiutfallamericans052720.jpg

The IU track and field team collected 12 All-American honors, the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association announced Tuesday afternoon.

Nine members of the men’s team were named All-Americans, in addition to one relay team. The accolades were awarded to senior Adam Coulon in the pole vault, senior Kyle Mau in the 3,000-meter race, senior Willie Morrison in the shot put, junior Jyles Etienne in the high jump, junior Cooper Williams in the 800-meter race and freshman Matthew Schadler in the mile.

Mau, Williams, Schadler and sophomore Shaton Vaughn were tabbed as All-Americans for their combined efforts in the distance medley relay.

Two members of the women’s team also earned All-American status. Senior Khayla Dawson and junior Madison Pollard were recognized for their individual performance in the shot put.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the USTFCCCA canceled the 2020 NCAA Division I Indoor Track & Field Championships on March 12. The event was scheduled to begin one day later on March 13.

IU’s men’s team won the Big Ten Indoor Championship this season, its first conference indoor title since 2017 and 19th in program history. The women’s team placed fourth in the Big Ten Indoor Championship.

Men’s head coach Ron Helmer was named Big Ten Coach of the Year and USTFCCCA Great Lakes Regional Coach of the Year after leading the Hoosiers to a season-high No. 5 ranking in the national poll.