Monday, March 18

business & economy bloomington

Bloomington hotels to offer student housing for IU’s 2020-2021 school year

Graduate Hotel Outside

Hyatt Place Bloomington, SpringHill Suites Bloomington and the Graduate Bloomington will offer housing for IU students for the 2020-2021 school year. 

Hyatt Place will offer 40 rooms, and SpringHill Suites will offer 15. The Graduate has not yet set a limit on how many students they will accept.

“This is really just another alternative that’s available to students in addition to the other housing opportunities available in Bloomington,” Mike Banas, director of communication for White Lodging, Hyatt Place’s management company, said. “We’d love to offer a safe and comfortable place to stay.”

If students wish to stay the full semester, a room at the Hyatt Place with one bed will cost $6,000, and a room with two beds will cost $7,800, Kirby Brown, general manager of Hyatt Place, said. 

Melanie Jarrett, director of sales and general manager for SpringHill Suites, said interested students must reach out to her to receive a cost. This is also the Graduate’s policy, said general manager Corey Parton.

Students will have to sign an agreement for student housing at any of these hotels. The rooms at all three hotels will still be offered when IU classes go online after Thanksgiving.

Hyatt Place is located on Kirkwood Avenue, about half a mile from Sample Gates. The Graduate is also located on Kirkwood Avenue, less than half a mile away. SpringHill Suites is a little over half a mile from campus. Jarrett said students can take the number 6 Route bus to campus. 

Brown said students will take up a quarter of the Hyatt Place hotel, separated from other guest rooms. The floor will be co-ed. 

“The goal would be to have all the students on one floor, knowing that there would be a better control for quiet time, study time, things of that nature,” Brown said.

Parton said the Graduate plans to separate guests from students, and the floors will likely be co-ed. At SpringHill Suites, students will likely be on one floor and co-ed, Jarrett said.

All hotels have meal options. Brown said Hyatt Place plans to offer a meal plan similar to IU’s, but it is not finalized. There are also restaurants around the hotel.  SpringHill Suites offers free breakfast, Jarrett said. Students will also have access to the hotel’s 24-hour market and its restaurant, The Avenue. The Graduate has a restaurant inside that opens at 6:30 a.m. and closes at 9 p.m., Parton said. 

All three hotels will offer parking for students. The Graduate and Hyatt Place will offer discounted parking costs. Jarrett said parking is free for student residents at SpringHill Suites.

The hotels plan to provide clean environments. Brown said Hyatt Place has upgraded its cleaning procedures, using hospital-grade disinfectants in light of the pandemic.

Jarrett said SpringHill Suites also has a focus on cleanliness. New sanitization procedures have been introduced in housekeeping, front desk and food and beverage departments.

“They get a clean facility, which I think is most important at these times,” she said.

The Graduate is finalizing their improved cleaning procedures, Parton said. He said rooms will never be cleaned while guests are in them for safety and health purposes. The hotel will coordinate housekeeping times with students, he said.

To receive more information about student housing at Hyatt Place, contact Brown at 812-339-5950 or email him at kirby.brown@whitelodging.com. To receive more information about student housing at SpringHill Suites, email melanie.jarrett@marriot.com. For The Graduate, call 812-994-0500 or email info@graduatebloomington.com.