UPDATE: About 2,500 Monroe County homes, businesses still without power after Wednesday storm

<p>Duke Energy’s map of Thursday morning power outages in Bloomington is displayed on a laptop. More than 4,600 Monroe County residents and businesses are without power after severe storms Wednesday night.</p>

Duke Energy’s map of Thursday morning power outages in Bloomington is displayed on a laptop. More than 4,600 Monroe County residents and businesses are without power after severe storms Wednesday night.

This story was updated at 8:50 p.m. April 9. 

Around 2,500 Monroe County homes and businesses are still without power as of Thursday evening, according to a 7:30 p.m. update on the Duke Energy outage website, which is updated about every 15 minutes. 

Power for the entire county is estimated to be restored by 11:59 p.m. Friday, according to the website.

At 12:30 p.m Thursday, about 4,600 customers did not have power after severe storms swept through the area Wednesday night. With the statewide stay-at-home order in effect through April 20, many Hoosiers are stuck at home without power.  

There are 118 active outages in the county as of 7:30 p.m. An active outage is any one pole or power line that is damaged, and one outage can affect a whole neighborhood, Duke Energy spokesperson Lew Middleton said.

According to the National Weather Service, Monroe County saw a thunderstorm around 9 p.m. Wednesday night. The highest wind speeds were 32 mph with gusts that were 52 mph. 

The strong wind caused many tree branches to damage lines, Middleton said. Rain made the ground soft, causing trees to fall and create damage too.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.