arts coronavirus

MCHA provides pet food, litter for pet owners struggling during COVID-19 pandemic

Entdogfood040920.jpg

The Monroe County Humane Association is keeping its doors open to pet owners in need during this time.

The MCHA has seen an increase in food donation and veterinary care needs since the spread of the coronavirus. The most requested items are cat and dog food and cat litter.  

Residents can request dry cat or dog food, cat litter and treats if there is need.

Development Director Kimberly Goy said that while the association has always provided resources for pet owners, the past few weeks have been particularly difficult. 

“Financial hardship shouldn’t be a reason to abandon your pet or relinquish it to a shelter,” Goy said. “We can help.”

Several precautions are being taken to keep clients safe. All staff members practice social distancing with clients, wear masks and disinfect between interactions with each guest. The team is also working to set up pick-up stations for pet food and medication. 

“It’s definitely been a learning curve, but we are adapting as things change around us,” Goy said.

Typically the MCHA requires all pets to be up-to-date on their rabies vaccinations and be spayed or neutered if they receive donations. They also ask pet owners to show proof of need based on income. But the organization is no longer enforcing these regulations to allow all pet owners a chance to receive assistance if needed. 

“We realize that so many members of our community are pet owners. That’s one of the things we love about Bloomington,” Goy said. “So many of those community members are experiencing financial hardships that they have no control over.”  

Residents must bring photo identification to receive supplies. They are also recommended to bring a container for dry food if possible. 

The MCHA is currently in the process of moving locations. Their new location at 791 S. Fieldstone Blvd. will open on April 27 and feature public dog walking trails and a pet memorial garden. Until that time, guests can receive necessities from 1-4 p.m. on April 12 and 19 at 4635 W. Richland Plaza Drive. 

As a nonprofit organization, the MCHA relies on donations. The organization was recently gifted hand sanitizer from Cardinal Spirits. The distillery began producing sanitizer after Gov. Eric Holcomb called on restaurants to close in-person dining.

The MCHA still needs dry and canned pet food, as well as cat litter and gallon-sized Ziploc bags. The team is willing to accept opened bags during this time. Donations may be dropped off at 3410 S. Walnut St. in the designated bin.