sports women's basketball

IU women’s basketball freshman Jorie Allen to transfer after one season

spiuwbbbrief040520.jpg

Freshman forward Jorie Allen has announced her intention to transfer from the IU women’s basketball program, according to a Sunday press from the team.

“Jorie and I have spoken and we agree that it’s in her best interest to leave Indiana,” IU head coach Teri Moren said in the release. “We wish her much success moving forward and thank her for her contributions to our program.”

The announcement comes after Allen appeared in all 32 games of her freshman season and averaged more than 11 minutes per game off the bench. Allen had a career-high nine points in 23 minutes against Nicholls State on Nov. 10.

The former Indiana Ms. Basketball was a major contributor for a Hoosier team that won a program best 24 games. Allen was there to see the Hoosiers advance to the Big Ten Tournament semifinals and finish the season ranked in the AP Top 25.

Before becoming the fourth Indiana Ms. Basketball to come to IU, Allen starred at Bedford North Lawrence High School where she led her team to three consecutive sectional championships and finished as the program’s all time leading scorer with 1,930 points.

Allen is now the third member of the 2019-20 team to announce their intent to transfer, joining junior guard Bendu Yeaney and freshman guard Shaila Beeler. Allen has not yet announced where she intends to transfer.