sports women's basketball

IU women's basketball junior guard Bendu Yeaney enters the transfer portal

spiuwbbbrief013120.jpg

No. 20 IU women’s basketball announced Friday morning that junior guard Bendu Yeaney will leave the program and enter the transfer portal.

Yeaney, a native of Portland, Oregon, played in just six games for the Hoosiers this season. She suffered a torn Achilles in last year’s second-round NCAA Tournament game against the Oregon Ducks.

Yeaney’s decision was influenced by her desire to be closer to home, according to a press release. She said the health of an immediate family member has left her wanting to be closer to the west coast.

“Family always must come first, and we support Bendu in her desire to be closer to her family at this time,” IU head coach Teri Moren said in a press release. “We thank her for her contributions and impact that she has had on our program. We wish her nothing but the very best.”

Yeaney made her 2019-20 season debut against Butler on Dec. 11, but has not played in a game since Jan. 20.

She was known at IU as a tenacious defender. During her IU career, she averaged 8.5 points, 4.3 rebounds and 1.2 steals in 76 games.

In her first two seasons, Yeaney started in 69 of 70 games played but had not seen significant minutes since her return to the lineup.

“I am thankful for my three seasons in Bloomington,” Yeaney said in a press release. “I would like to thank Teri Moren and staff for the opportunity to wear the Cream and Crimson for nearly three seasons. I wish the program the best and continued success in the future.”

The 17-5 Hoosiers will return to the court at 7 p.m. Monday night to take on rival Purdue.