arts community events

Union Board to present first Poetry Jam of the semester

entPoetryJamPreview030220

Union Board will present its first poetry jam of the semester at 5-7 p.m. March 4 at Starbucks in the Indiana Memorial Union.

There has only been one Poetry Jam in the past, but the Union Board has revived it as a series. There will be two Poetry Jams this semester, the second taking place April 1. 

Kat Ellingson, freshman and programming director for Canvas Creative Arts on the Union Board, said all students, community members and all types of poetry are welcome.

“It’s an open-mic,” Ellingson said. “You can share your own original work, we’d love to hear it, or if you have a favorite poem, we want to hear that too.”

Ellingson has been involved in Union Board since the beginning of the fall semester and was quickly elected as programming director. She said in her experience Canvas Creative Arts works frequently with physical art but not a lot with written works.

“We really wanted to make sure that literary arts were represented as well,” Ellingson said. “We really wanted something where students felt comfortable to come and share.”

Ellingson worked with Isabel Drumwright, sophomore and marketing lead of Canvas Creative Arts, to develop the series. Drumwright said it’s important for students with non-creative majors to have a creative outlet, and she believes the Poetry Jam offers that chance.

“It gives them the opportunity to be able to share something that they’re still passionate about,” Drumwright said. 

Drumwright said the Union Board’s mission is to bring people together from all corners of campus. For the Canvas Creative Arts committee, they bring people together through art.

“It’s a fun way to hear your friends share their poetry or even strangers share their stories through their writing because it is a form of art,” Drumwright said. 

Graduate student Sara Perry is an advisor for the Union Board. She said Poetry Jam and other events that Canvas Creative Arts puts on provide chances for students to share hidden talents.

“It’s a unique opportunity for students to share their work and share what they’re proud of,” Perry said. “There are so many really talented students here.”

Perry said many of the students who share at the Poetry Jams are non-majors who write as a hobby.

“It provides an opportunity for students who are maybe scared to pursue art,” Perry said. “It’s been really awesome to watch students and how excited they are about their work.”

Ellingson, who will be working alongside her committee to run the event, said she wants the Poetry Jam to be a place where students can be comfortable sharing their art.

“It really is a chill night to just share what you love, share what you’re passionate about,” Ellingson said. “I’m excited. I’m really excited.”