Tuesday, March 19

coronavirus

Spring graduation ceremonies postponed on all IU campuses

new grad.jpg

Spring commencement ceremonies at all IU campuses have been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to a universitywide email IU President Michael McRobbie sent Friday.

Recognition ceremonies for individual schools, departments and programs have been canceled, according to IU’s commencement website.

The message said there will be future commencement ceremonies for all IU graduates as the public health climate allows, and the postponement will not affect the timing or awarding of degrees.

The decision, which McRobbie called “enormously disappointing news," came partially as a result of guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which is discouraging gatherings of more than 10 people.

"Current guidance from the CDC, restrictions on large gatherings, and our own focus on health and safety make it impossible to hold these cherished traditional events as scheduled,” McRobbie’s email read.

The decision to postpone follows IU's Sunday announcement to move all classes online for the remainder of the spring semester. IU also canceled Little 500 for the first time in history.

IU is one of several universities to change graduation plans. Purdue announced Tuesday that its commencement ceremonies would be virtual. 

The university will continue updating at coronavirus.iu.edu.

IDS updates on the coronavirus can be found here.