IDS Connect

Sophomore Tristan Jackson named summer 2020 editor-in-chief

Image from iOS.jpg

The IU Student Media Publications Board named Tristan Jackson the summer 2020 editor-in-chief of the Indiana Daily Student on Friday. 

The sophomore from Jeffersonville, Indiana, has worked for the IDS the past four semesters. Jackson has served as a copy editor, design chief, national sports columnist and, most recently, creative director for the spring semester. 

This summer, Jackson plans on maintaining IDS coverage of Bloomington, as the staff continues to report on the coronavirus pandemic. 

“Now as much as ever, people need to be informed of the work we are doing,” Jackson said during his interview with the board. 

Jackson also plans to focus on improving staff communication and encouraging collaboration between the desks. In his application, he said his willingness to put in extra time and effort will help him lead the summer staff. 

“I’m no stranger to spending 10 or more hours in the newsroom in a single day or picking up a shift reading copy rather than taking a day off,” Jackson said in his application. “I love the IDS and my biggest hope is to leave it in a better place than I found it.”

The IU Student Media Publications Board is made up of professional journalists, professors, the dean of the Media School and current IDS staff members. The board conducted an interview Friday with each editor-in-chief candidate via a Zoom conference call.